March 25, 2010

Enviro-Log {REVIEW}


Lately, I have been trying to make more of an effort to "green" up my life.  When I was approached by Enviro-Log to review the 5 lbs. firelog, I was excited to see what a recycled firelog would be like!  While I love to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful starlit sky, I get cold very easily so the fact that the folks at Enviro-Log claims it burns 50% hotter than wood with 30% less emissions really appealed to me.  Being a city girl, I've never enjoyed the smell of a wood burning fire.  It gets into my clothes and hair and takes forever for the smell to go away which I hate!  I was very curious to see if all the claims that Enviro-Log made about their products were actually true.



Here are some of the features that are listed on the Enviro-Log website:
  • Enviro-Log Firelogs are distinctive for their wide variety of applications and performance features. Because they are made from food-grade waxed old corrugated containers (WOCC), our firelogs can be used for cooking, as well as for heating and recreational purposes.
  • Enviro-Log Firelogs are compatible with all wood-burning appliances and can be used to enhance a wood-burning fire. Our firelogs generate more energy per pound than wood or other firelog brands.
  • Enviro-Log Firelogs are easier to light, burn hotter with larger, smokeless flames, and do not melt, drip, or spark because there is no added petroleum-based binder. They can be stacked and stored outdoors similar to wood and are more weather-resistant than other firelog brands.
There is also a chart that compares the Enviro-Log to sawdust and wax-based firelogs as well as real firewood.  It is located here

Well, I am happy to report that the Enviro-Log lived up to my expectations!  We took it over to a friend's house and burned one on the deck in his firepit.  It was definitely hotter than normal firewood and I loved the fact that there was not nearly as much odor!  In fact, it smelled like burning candles and didn't make my eyes burn at all.  I would have felt perfectly comfortable cooking over the fire, too, because there was no chemical odor as with other manufactured logs.  Unfortunately, it started to rain about 45 minutes after we lit it, so I don't know if it would burn for three hours, but I can tell you that after burning for 45 minutes there was still a lot of the log left.

Here are a few pictures of what the flame looked like while it was burning.  Since I was with two men, directions were not followed very closely (use the bag as kindling!).  I think if we had followed the directions and used the outer bag as kindling, the fire would have burned more evenly from the middle.



All in all, I am very happy with the Enviro-Log!  I will definitely put this in my arsenal of products to purchase!  The Enviro-Log is found at stores nationwide such as The Home Depot, K-Mart, Whole Foods, etc.  You can find a listing here.  You can even purchase them online!  The 4pk. of 5 lbs. logs sells for $21.99 which includes shipping.  Go get some today!

Disclosure:  I was sent two sample logs from Enviro-Log to review.  I was not compensated in any other way for my honest opinions.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I found enviro logs a waste of good money. They did not want to even light. I had to keep putting paper under them so they would stay lit. Will I ever buy again NO! NEVER

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!