April 18, 2010

Baking a cake...

My friend's birthday was on Friday night and she's working really hard to eat well and exercise more, so I decided to make her a cake!  I know it sounds counter-productive but this cake is really not all that terrible (as cakes go, that is).  It's a cake that my mom's best friend made for my wedding shower and it's perfect for the start of springtime.  We have been blessed with nice weather the past few day (into the 70's today!) and this is a light, airy cake that has fruit baked into the cake and stirred into the frosting so this cake is perfect.  My mom had to hunt down the recipe for me yesterday which took longer than the time it took to actually make the cake!

Try this out the next time you need a quick, easy cake to take to a spring or summer get together or pot luck.

Andrea's Shower Cake


Ingredients:
Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick softened butter
4 eggs
1 can small mandarin oranges with juice
Frosting
1 - 13 1/2 oz Cool Whip (I couldn't find this size so I used 2 - 8 oz containers)
1 large box vanilla instant pudding
1 - 15 oz can crushed pineapples with juice (once again, I couldn't find this size so I used 2 small cans)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cake - Mix ingredients together until well blended.  Bake in 3 greased 8 inch cake pans (2 greased 9 inch cake pans work, too.  I think you could also cook this in a 9x13 casserole).  Bake at 350 degrees until done (according to package directions).  Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting - Mix all ingredients together by hand until it is spreading consistency and pudding is completely blended in.
Chill in refrigerator until serving.

Here's my finished masterpiece:


Did you make anything tasty this weekend?  Please let me know if you try this recipe out.  Everyone that had some loved it!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Morning Jennifer. This looks scrumptious!! We had beautiful weather this weekend too. What we didn't have was running water. Well problems - uggghhh!

    Have a great week...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty good! Thanks for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!