Here are my five vacation activities:
- Sing, sing, sing! We would sing in the car to everything. Our family favorite was "Sesame Street Sing-a-Long"! This is a fun activity for both kids and parents and helps the time go by quickly.
- Pack healthy snacks and drinks. My parents would always bring snacks along for us to much on. We would also have lunches packed so that we didn't have to stop so often and we always knew what was in the food!
- Drive if you can. Most of our vacations when I was young were in the car. We even drove from Washington State to New Jersey one summer! It's more economical and you get some quality family time.
- Pick somewhere you have never been. I think it is important for kids to see new places and meet new people. Even if it's a city that's only an hour away from you. If you've never been there, take a day trip and visit!
- Involve your kids in the choice of vacation spot. This is for older kids, but ask them what they want to do. It's their vacation, too, after all! Maybe they want to go hiking or fishing or to the beach. They will probably enjoy being a part of the selection committee!
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the Williamsburg Tourism and TwitterMoms blogging program for a chance to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.