June 6, 2010

Zucchini Quiche anyone?

Mmmm...quiche.  I love quiche for breakfast, lunch and dinner!  When I received Grandma's Back to Basics All Natural More Than Just a Cookbook from Dorrance Publishing for review, I started looking through the recipes and my eyes fell on the Zucchini Quiche.  My husband and I have always loved making quiche for dinner because it is a great way to get protein and vegetables in one dish and (shh!) I love the crust!  When we first got married we would buy the ready-made pie crusts from Pillsbury and just add our own fillings like broccoli and cheese and sometimes ham.  We didn't get anymore gourmet than maybe adding some caramelized onions or sun dried tomatoes. 

This Zucchini Quiche recipe looked real easy while still being homemade so I decided to make it for breakfast this morning.  Since I picked this recipe last night, I took the liberty of saving myself some time and made the crust before I went to bed.  That way, all I had to do was mix up the filling and bake it.  How does it look?  It tasted pretty good except I would add a little bit of salt and pepper to the filling for some more flavor but it turned out really well!  On the top are pieces of fried zucchini that were very sweet.

Here's the recipe:

Zucchini Quiche

8 eggs
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1 1/2 cups shredded raw potatoes
1/4 cup Parmesan or natural white cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded raw zucchini
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon olive oil
Thin sliced zucchini
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 clove garlic, pressed
3 ounces Swiss cheese
1 cheese pastry shell

Beat eggs.  Add onions, potatoes, Parmesan cheese, shredded zucchini, and milk.  Pour into unbaked cheese pastry shell.  Heat oil and fry sliced zucchini.  Add salt, pepper, oregano and garlic.  Place Swiss cheese on top of egg mixture in pastry shell.  Add fried zucchini mixture.  Baked uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce to 350 degrees until done.  Total baking time is 1 hour. (Mine didn't bake for 1 hour. I baked it at 400 for 20 minutes and then at 350 for another 20 minutes and it was done.)

Cheese Pastry Shell:
Cut 3 tablespoons butter into 3/4 cup unbleached flour.  Add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 2 tablespoons cold, filtered water.  Blend in 1 1/2 cups shredded, natural Cheddar cheese.  Roll out and place in a large pie dish.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of Grandma's Back to Basics All Natural More Than Just a Cookbook as a member of the Dorrance Publishing Book Review Team. Visit dorrancebookstore.com to learn how you can become a member of the Book Review Team.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Now that looks delicious, Jennifer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good I might have to go buy some Zucchini and try this out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!