March 20, 2011

Ideal No Calorie Sweetener {REVIEW}

Sweets are a coveted item in my house but, being the owners of the gym in town, we try to keep ourselves in fairly good shape and away from the high calorie sweets.  I've found that when we do have cravings for sweet foods, using a product that is low or no calorie in the place of sugar can be a good alternative.  In fact, over the years I have experimented with no calorie sweeteners and baking and have found that those products usually don't do so well in baked goods.  The texture turns out all grainy and wrong and it doesn't satisfy the craving.  If you are like me and occasionally like to use a sweetener in baked goods, I think I've found a winner!  Ideal No Calorie Sweetener is a tolerable substitute and even bakes up nicely!

Ideal No Calorie Sweetener is made with Xylitol which you have probably heard about because it is used in many other sugar-free products like gum and pudding.  Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables and is low on the glycemic index which makes it a great alternative for diabetics.  Xylitol has also been proven to increase dental health.  Ideal comes in four different varieties; Ideal No Calorie Sweetener in packets, Ideal No Calorie Sweetener in a 10.6 oz resealable pouch, Ideal No Calorie Brown Sweetener in a resealable pouch and Ideal Low Calorie Confectionery Sweetener in a resealable pouch (just like powdered sugar).  I received one of everything from Ideal to test out and report back to you my opinion.


I wanted to make sure that I made a couple of recipes from the Ideal website so that I could prepare a review that is accurate for you and get the full experience of the product.  I decided to make the Ideal Sugar Cookies and Ideal Buttercream Frosting.  The recipes were easy to make.  In fact, the hardest part of the recipe was rolling out the dough and cutting out the cookies!  The rest of the ingredients were all found in my pantry so there was nothing special needed besides the Ideal sweetener.  Right away, I noticed that the texture of the cookie was very similar to a sugar cookie made with granulated sugar.  I rolled them out and cut them into circles.  I then baked them for about 8-10 minutes or until they were golden around the edges.  My husband was not looking forward to trying these cookies because of past experiments with artificial sweeteners but he was surprised at how good they tasted!  They were the closest in both texture and flavor to cookies made with sugar than any other sweetener I've used.  The frosting was my favorite part!  I could tell no difference in flavor or texture.  In fact, I would like to try Ideal Low Calorie Confectionery Sugar in a cream cheese frosting recipe.  Here is a picture of some of my creations that I was practicing my piping skills on for my cake decorating class!


So, if you are diabetic, cook for a diabetic or are just looking for a good, low calorie alternative to sugar, check out Ideal products in your local store.  I think you'll be surprised at how similar to sugar it really is!

Disclosure:  I was provided with free samples of the product and asked for my honest opinion in exchange.  I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Truly said, sweetener are now a days used in substitute of sugar. Many people can't take the sweetener due to some disease. So this sweetener works as sugar substitute.
    Natural Sweeteners

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!