April 9, 2011

Ditch the Joneses, Discover Your Family {REVIEW}

One of the reasons my husband and I are waiting to have children is because we both agree that having one of us stay home with our children is very important however that requires living on one income.  As we are all aware, in this day and age, that is becoming increasingly difficult to do.  There are so many books and websites out there that discuss how you can live on less which are wonderful resources with great ideas and suggestions on how to create and stick to a budget.  Cathi Brese Doebler has written a book titled "Ditch the Joneses, Discover Your Family; How to Thrive on Less Than Two Incomes!".  This book is all about how you can spend more time with family and even quit your job to be a stay-at-home parent without robbing yourself of the most essential things in life.  This book was written for people like me because I am very passionate about not working outside the home while my children are young.

We’ve all felt the pressure to “keep up with the Joneses”. Often it seems like it
takes two incomes to survive in today’s economy. But what if that is not true for
your family? What if your family can thrive on less than two full-time salaries
and flourish by spending more time together?

Tackling these tough questions using faith-based views and values, this book gives
parents encouraging and realistic ideas for a healthy and solid family.

In this book, Brese Doebler challenges the two income assumption, and takes you
on a journey toward the joy of discovering your family.

First of all, the title is awesome!  I love that Cathi uses the word "thrive" and not "survive".  Thrive is such a positive word and implies that you can succeed and enjoy living on less than two incomes rather than just get by while depriving yourself.  This whole book is extremely positive in nature and Cathi really pushes her readers to look within and find strength to make some tough decisions in order to reap some incredible rewards.  While I am not the most religious person out there, the prayers at the end of every chapter in the book were a nice touch, I thought.  Sometimes I need to put my fears and worries out there and ask for help from a higher power so the prayers gave me a good starting point.  Cathi does a really nice job of including those prayers but not shoving them in your face.  They are there if you want to use them. 

Every idea and process that Cathi discusses in this book are attainable and achievable.  One of my favorite chapters in the book was the sample proposal for your company.  This is where I would struggle with creating something that was presentable to my company, not because I'm unintelligent, but because I wouldn't know the first place to begin!  Cathi gives a very thorough example of a proposal that you can use if you are looking to go to part-time or a work from home situation with your current company.  Included in this sample proposal are benefits for the company, necessary supplies and requirements, challenges and how they will be overcome as well as a specific plan of how your relationship and job description will change. 

So, if you are struggling in your current situation and would like to make some changes but feel intimidated by less money, check out Cathi's book "Ditch the Joneses, Discover Your Family".  You can purchase the book here and find Cathi at her website and on Twitter.  I will be keeping this book for future reference as we start a family and live with less than two incomes.  Thanks to Cathi for giving me some additional things to think about as we embark upon parenthood!

Disclosure:  I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.  All opinions are my own and no other compensation was received.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!