May 15, 2011

Cheers! - FlipFlop Wines {REVIEW}

I consider myself a lover of wine and definitely know what kinds of wine I like and what I don't like.  Lately, my husband and I have been trying to choose affordable wine that still tastes good and we have found that it's not as difficult as we thought!  In fact, I was thrilled to receive two bottles of flipflop wine, Riesling and Pinot Grigio, to try at home and report back to you, my readers, about them.  The best part about this assignment?  Both bottles of wine are white which is definitely my preference over red wine.

flipflop wines are a brainchild of David Georges who discovered the art of grape growing while working at an organic vegetable farm in the Mt. Shasta region of California.  From there, he went on to the University of California at Davis where he studied viticulture (grape growing) and enology (winemaking).  In 2009, he began making  wines that would become the inaugural wines for flipflop which include Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Moscato for whites and Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Pinot Noir for reds.  David enjoys the casual life and claims that flip flops are a staple in his wardrobe, hence the name.  In fact, David loves giving back and supports multiple charities with the most recent being Soles4Souls which a pair of flip flop sandals to a person in need every time a bottle of flipflop wine is purchased.  How cool is that?

As soon as I received the two bottles, I was anxious to open them up and taste!  I mean, flipflop wines retail for $7 in the stores so I really wanted to know if we would be adding flipflop wines to our list of wines.  We first opened the bottle of Riesling because it's one of my favorite varietals and I wanted to see what flipflop had to offer.  The tasting notes mention peach, apricot and melon flavors which lead to a satisfying and smooth finish.  flipflop wines recommend that you drink the Riesling chilled with foods like tofu, shredded pork tacos and sake sashimi.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any of those foods around my house, but I made sure to chill the wine before tasting.  The peach and apricot flavors were the most noticeable for me with some slight melon flavors in the background.  I found it to be sweet but not overly syrupy so it was very drinkable and very typical of a good Riesling.  I would have loved to drink this Riesling with some spicy Thai cuisine because I absolutely love the combination of a Riesling with spicy foods.  Luckily, I saw flipflop wines at my local grocery store for less than the retail price so I will be purchasing this wine in the near future.  Oh, I almost forgot my favorite part of this bottle of wine, it's a screw top!  You can take this bottle on a picnic or on a boat trip without needing a corkscrew.  Pretty great, right?

The next evening my husband and I opened the bottle of Pinot Grigio that had also been chilling in our refrigerator since the tasting notes recommend that this wine also be chilled before drinking.  The tasting notes on this bottle says that it is light-bodied with refreshing tropical citrus notes, ripe pear and a zesty, clean finish.  It's balanced crisp acidity should be paired with bruschetta, spaghetti carbonara or eggplant parmesean.  This wine was drier than the last however it was a very refreshing, less sweet option and would balance out the heaviness of the dishes mentioned above.  I found that the pear flavors jumped right out at me and the acidity was apparent from the first sip that I took.  This Pinot Grigio would be a perfect wine to drink with dinner on a sultry, summer evening.  I have to say that of the two wines, this was not my favorite but I would drink it again.  If you are the type of wine drinker who enjoys a drier, less sweet white wine, this is a wonderful, affordable option.  Once again, it comes with a screw top so there is no need for a corkscrew and it is easy to re-cap and keep chilled in the refrigerator for a few days.  Don't you think the bottles are cute, too?  I just love the fun label with the tropical flowers and flip flop sandals!

If I can find flipflop wines in my local grocery store, than you should be able to find them, too and at less than $7 per bottle, it is one of the more affordable wines available.  The next time you are perusing the wine rack in the store, look for the label with the flip flops on it.  Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

Disclosure:  I was sent samples of the above mentioned product in exchange for my honest opinion.  I was not compensated in any other way and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. visiting in Florence, Alabama, and picked up a bottle of the Cabernet Savignon, just to cook with, since it had a screw cap. But, I tasted it. It is good! Will get some more to have with the steaks I grill this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!